We all are aware of the term web view, it’s not new for us. We have already used UIWebView in the past. Developers were using UIWebView class in the 8.0 and earlier versions to embed web content in an iOS app. However, UIWebView was a bit gawky, burly, and exuded in strainer memory. Thus, Apple has introduced WKWebView in replace of UIWebView. Through WKWebView developers can display interactive web content in their applications.
WKWebView has replaced UIWebView in WebKit and UIKIT in AppKIT by providing consistent API across both platforms. Hence, it is proven that WkWebview is one of the most important features of iOS8 and macOS.
Let’s take a look at the Advantages of WKWebView
- WKWebView runs itself on the separate thread where the application runs. So the separate memory has been allocated to the WebView which results in better application performance. In a result of this, whenever WKWebView got crashed due to exceeds amount of memory then it never affects the application. It will only crash the webview but not the app.
What is the main objective behind using WKWebView?
Most importantly, It is working as a separate process rather than running within an app to improve the performance of the application. From the UI perspective, it is beyond showcasing simple web pages in an iOS app. 7
Let’s begin with our simple web browser creation
iOS has multiple ways to work with reviews but today we are discussing WKWebView which is a part of the WebKit framework instead of UIKit framework.
In this tutorial, we are going to create a web browser using the WKWebView Object. We will be using Xcode 10.1 and built for iOS 12.1 using swift language version 4.2.
- Firstly, create a single view application with the name of SOBrowserApp and make a language selection as swift in view controller.swift & import the Webkit framework.
- Now, add @IBOutlets for WKWebView.
- Create a view in Main.storyboard with WKWebView, Next and Back button(UI button) with a search option.
- Create an Activity Indicator and set the observer in ViewDidLoad.
- On clicking the “Go” button, we will call and btnSearchAction in which we are using google Url to load searchable data OR item in WKWebView.
- Handle below function for the “Back” and “Next” button.
If you would need any help in WKWebView development, feel free to contact us. We are a leading iPhone development company in India. You can hire iPhone app developer with prominent WKWebView development experience.
Why are you waiting for advancement? Hire dedicated iPhone developer and expand your business in a way you have expected.